It is no longer news that the United States is a popular study destination for foreign students as a result of its receptiveness to foreigners, welcoming foreign students to its colleges, universities, and other schools as well as its multicultural society.
Nevertheless, the government of the United States tries as much as possible to make sure that these foreign students, at the end of their studies, return to their home country unless stated otherwise.
Little wonder why you have to prove your intentions of returning home after studying in the U.S, in other words, proving your residence in and ties to your home country before you are permitted to apply for an F-1 or M-1 student visa.
You may at this point be wondering how you can prove that you have intentions of returning to your home country when you are applying for a U.S student visa.
Compiling convincing documents to prove that you have to leave the United States on schedule.
You should have in mind when preparing this part of your student visa application that during your interview at the U.S embassy, one of the definite questions you will be asked is “Do you have intentions of returning home after your studies in the United States, if yes, why and how can you prove your answer?”
You have to put into consideration convincing documents that will answer the above question because it is not enough to say “Yes, I would be returning home” as most people do.
They know that people say yes but they end up going against their earlier statement and stay back, in fact, they have the orientation that everyone is striving for a way to stay in this country for as long as they can therefore, you have to convince them by providing factual details about your home, family, employment status, achievements, future plans after school, and so on because this information will probably be the best sources of proof that you intend to return home when your studies are completed.
We have listed below possible documents you have to gather for your visa application to prove that you have intentions of returning to your home country at the end of your studies.
The possible documents to present to the U.S. consular officer to prove intent of returning home after your studies
There are quite a number of documents you need to gather and present when you are asked during the visa interview at the U.S embassy and they include the ones below though they are not limited to these ones:
- You have to present a copy of your home address or rental agreement, which serves as proof that you have a stable place to reside.
- You have to provide a sworn affidavit from your parents containing the list of all the family members residing in your home country including information to prove that they are all firmly settled in the country. It is also a bonus if a statement is included stating why you are likely to return (especially in a case where there is a family business or property).
- You have to provide evidence of marriage and birth certificates indicating that you are behind in your home country, your spouse, and your children. Please note that this is not a requirement for this visa, it is possible to take them along with you when traveling, but if you are not traveling with them, then utilize this information by including that you are leaving them behind.
- You have to provide documentation of an existing business like a business license or employment that you will return to by getting a letter from your employer alongside copies of recent pay stubs.
- You have to provide copies of bank statements which is proof that you maintain accounts in your home country, this will to a large extent prove that you have a financial tie to your home country. This can come in handy especially if you are young and do not have a job or an employment history.
- You have to tell them not just in a few sentences but also documentation showing your career potential in your home country, you can include statistics from a recognized source like your government. This will prove to them that people with your skills are in high demand in your home country, or get a letter from a potential employer.
- You have to provide documents showing any monetary bonds that you paid to government scholarship funders that will guarantee your return, if any, attaching copies of your receipts and correspondence
- You must provide a prepaid, round-trip plane ticket to and from the United States because some consulates/embassies routinely ask for it, irrespective of the fact that it is not a prerequisite for obtaining a student visa.
We would like to reiterate that you should not be limited by the aforementioned list. Feel free to include any unusual reason for wanting to return home that only you can think of, for instance, perhaps you are a professional at a form of dance that catches the interest of only people in your country, or you are the only heir to a family business.
An example of proof of an Intent letter to return to home country after studies.
120, Atiku Abubakar Way,
U.S. Consulate General Lagos Office
2 Walter Carrington Crescent,
Victoria Island, Lagos.
To Whom It May Concern,
Proof of Intent Letter to Go BackTo My Home Country after my Studies.
I am writing to state my intention of returning to my home country – Nigeria once I am through with my master’s degree studies in Computer Networking at the University of California.
Furthermore, I have the intention of furthering my career as a network analyst in my place of employment and then establishing a computer systems firm to secure subcontracts.
In the past few years, the IT industry is one of the industries that have recorded a tremendous increase and I will sincerely love to continue to be part of the expansion especially with the skills and certification I would be acquiring while studying at the University of California
Prior to this, I have made plans with the close associates I would be partnering and working closely with, also my company has expanded its sphere of work into a more complex IT field, and I believe that with my skill and drive, I will contribute positively to this course.
Finally, you should always know that the consulates at the embassy most times feel that people are looking for means to stay in the United States, therefore you will be required to prove beyond doubt that you have the intention of returning to your home country. We hope that with this article, you know what is expected of you including documents you need to present to back up your claim.