How To Apply For U.S Understudy Visa From Your Country. - Fakaza Jobs

How To Apply For U.S Understudy Visa From Your Country.

Before you apply for a student visa in the U.S, you need to have applied into a Student Exchange and Visitors Program (SEVP)  approved institution to study a course of your choice.

Once the institution accepts and approves your enrollment, Form 1-20 will be issued from their international student office and you will be registered under the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). 

Related Topics:

You will also have to pay the SEVIS 1-901 fee. Form I-20 is a valid U.S. Government form, issued by the institution in a prospective nonimmigrant student must have in order to apply for a visa.

 Form I-20 acts as proof of acceptance and contains the information necessary to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee including the student’s SEVIS identification number.

You can apply at the U.S Embassy or Consulate for your student visa as soon as you get your Form 1-20 but not later than 3 months time.

United State government agencies are involved with international student arrival and status while studying in the U.S. 

The State Department is involved in the visa application process and issuing the visa. Once a student visa holder arrives in the U.S, the U.S.

Department of Homeland Security is the responsible agency for entry as well as issuing and enforcing international student regulations.

The U.S government offers three types of student visa:

  • F Student Visa

This is the most common type of student visa used in the U.S.

This visa is available for students who want to study at an accredited U.S college, university, high school, private elementary school, seminary, conservatory or to study English at an English Language Institute.

  • J Exchange Visa

This visa is available for students who wish to participate in an exchange program including high school and university students, professors, camp counselors, specialists, teachers, trainees, interns. 

  • M Student Visa

This visa is available for students who wish to engage in vocational or non-academic training or study. 

How To Apply For Understudy Visa in U.S.A

 Once you have your Form 1-20, you are now eligible to apply for a student visa with these 6 simple steps:

1.   Download and Fill Online Visa Application Form for Non-immigrant; Form DS-160.

 This form has to be completed with an attached professional passport and submitted online to the Department of State website.

2.    Apply and schedule visa interview.

Most times, visa applicants are interviewed with certain limited exceptions before they are granted a visa.

So, you should schedule an appointment for your visa interview at the U.S Embassy (Abuja, Nigeria) or the U.S Consulate (Lagos, Nigeria) closest to you. 

The time it takes for the visa interview varies by location, visa category, and time. Apply for your visa interview early, so you can be scheduled early.

3.Prepare for visa interview

Preparations in appearance, dressing, and payment must be done before the interview. The visa-issued fee or reciprocity fee must be paid in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee). 

The non-immigrant visa application fee is $160. In appearance and dressing, you must look presentable and decent. Do not be fraudulent in your representation but take your time to prepare answers in advance to possible questions.

4.Get Required Documents

Your documents need to have been arranged and put in a folder for the visa interview, they include:

  • Valid International Passport with at least 6 months beyond the expiration of your stay in the U.S
  • Non-immigrant Visa Electronic Application Form DS-160
  • A 2”×2” professional photo
  • Receipt showing payment of the non-refundable visa application fee of $160 paid in naira.
  • An approved Form 1-20 from the institution.

Apart from having these required documents, supporting documents are also considered during the interview, documents that can prove your eligibility, which include:

  • Documents showing strong financial, social and family ties to your home country.
  • Financial documents to prove you have the funds available to meet all the expenses of first year and you have funds sufficient to cover your stay in U.S. 
  • Original copies of bank statements
  • If you are financially sponsored, bring documents showing your relationship with the sponsor, the sponsor’s tax form and bank statement. 
  • Academic transcript including your WAEC result and holding degrees.
  • An interview appointment letter confirming you booked an appointment for your visa interview.
  • Standardized English test scores.
  • Recommendation letter from your Head of Department or Principal.
  • Personal Essay with reasons why you are applying for the student visa.

5. Attend the interview

A consular officer will interview you to determine if you are qualified to receive the student visa.  A consular officer looks at every application individually and considers the social, financial, and professional factors during the interview. 

You have to meet the requirements of U.S law before you will get the visa. Digital fingerprint scans are taken as part of the interview application process.

After the interview, the consular officer might decide if the application requires further administrative processing. 

The consular office will inform you if it’s required.

During the visa interview, do your best to explain why you want to study in the U.S, how you will support yourself while in school there and what you will do when you are done with your studies.

Once your visa is approved, it will be dropped off at the location which you chose when applying for the visa interview.

6. Prepare for your departure 

For this final step, make your travel arrangements and prepare your documents as well as report to your school and attend orientation. 

The pre-departure orientation is to prepare students with the information and resources that will help prepare them for new experiences.

Remember, a visa doesn’t guarantee entrance into the U.S. The visa only allows you to travel to the U.S port of entry where you request permission to enter the country. 

The Department of Homeland Security, U.S Custom, and Border Protection officials at the Port of entry can either deny or permit admission after you submit your passport, visa, and Form 1-20.

 Once you are permitted to enter the U.S, the Customs and Border Protection officials will provide an admission stamped Form 1-94.

Hope this article made it easier for you to travel to the United States for an understudy. Have a wonderful trip and study abroad.

Leave a Comment