It is expedient that your photo meets all the requirements in every aspect when renewing a United States passport. W encourage you to read and adhere to the facts and instructions in this article.
All about passport Dimensions
For a passport to be said to meet international standards, it must be of a certain size and it is the same for most countries.
What should be the dimensions of a US passport?
The size of a US passport photo must be 2 x 2 inches, the photo must be following the international convention and measures 4 15/16 x 3 7/16 inches.
Specifications of the photo
- The size must be 2×2 inches.
- The photo must not be in black or white but colored.
- The position of the head should be between 1 and 1 3/8 inches from the chin to the top of your head.
- The photo must be a recent picture (cannot be older than the last six months}.
- The color of the background must be solid white or a shade of white.
- We advise you to put up a neutral facial expression, moreover, you can use a soft, natural smile if preferred.
- Make sure that your eyes are wide open and visible.
- You cannot wear glasses because they are not permitted.
- You are not allowed to wear any form of headgear such as hats, beanies, or other head coverings except if it’s for religious reasons.
- The maximum dimensions and size (pixels) of the photo must be 1200×1200 while the minimum is 600×600 pixels
- Uniforms are unacceptable but other clothes are permitted.
- Don’t grow a beard for the sake of the photograph Beard but you can keep one if you have it already.
- For each application, 2 photographs are needed for each person.
A description of the US Passport Photo Size Requirements – Rules, Guidelines, and Specifications
We have taken time to go deeper into what you are expected to do and what you shouldn’t do when you are taking a professional passport or visa photo.
How Strict are passport photos?
Please note that all passport photos must strictly be in line exactly with all the specified guidelines by the State Department. If you deviate from the passport guidelines given by the State Department passport, of course, your passport photo will be rejected and this will pause and delay your application process. You are advised to obey the passport photo requirements and take them seriously to avoid getting your passport application paused as a result of disobedience.
Glossy or Matte, which should the passport photo be?
Your passport photo can either be on glossy or matte paper, just ensure that the photo was taken within the past 6 months.
Are there requirements for a US work permit photo?
If you are applying for a U.S work permit, please note that the requirements are the same as the passport photo. It must be 2 x 2 inches and should be taken within the last 6 months.
A comprehensive list of all photo guidelines
- They will not accept an underexposed or overexposed photo, so make sure that the lighting is correct.
- Your photo has to be recent because they will reject anyone that was taken more than 6 months ago.
- In addition to this, it is important that your nose should be in the middle of the photo.
- They will not accept designed or colored backgrounds, only solid backgrounds will be permitted.
- By all means, do not wear a military or any form of a work uniform except for religious attires. Also, take note of wearing heavy scarves around the neck because they can lead to reducing the visibility of your head.
- You are not allowed to wear eyewear of any type.
- You are also not permitted to wear devices like Bluetooth, wired, or wireless headphones, nevertheless, if you wear hearing aids on a daily basis, then it is allowed in the photo.
- The printed photographs can be in either glossy or matte paper and be submitted with a passport application.
We have additionally listed a few checklist items to take note of in case you are looking to take the photo yourself or scan an existing one:
- Make sure that the photos are not digitally improved or altered.
- You have access to the government’s free tools and that will assist you in getting the appropriate picture for submission.
- Make sure you employ the use of a plain background and let your face be at the center covering about 55% of the photo.
- Make sure you use the appropriate pixel dimensions as we earlier stated.
Interestingly, infants, newborns, and infants have their own photo rules and requirements. It is very necessary that you note that an adult whether parents or guardians should not be seen in the photo with them, this implies that the photo of each child must be separately taken and presented alongside their own application. We have listed below a few tips for photo taking to be acceptable:
- Whether for professional or personal purposes, when snapping an infant, use a plain white sheet for them to lay on when taking a picture.
- In a case whereby you want the car seat to serve as support for the infant’s head, ensure that you have a plain white sheet on it.
- Look out for shadows on his or her face, get the child to look at the camera, and make sure that both eyes are open before you snap.
It is also the same rules and guidelines that apply to older children.
What does the cost look like?
This hugely depends on where you choose to have these snapshots done. Interestingly, there are lots of options available to you whether you are looking for a place in town or somewhere online. The most common thing is going to the post office or local drugstore but unfortunately, aside from the issue of having to drive and wait for prints, they can be pricey ( $10-$15 per person talk more of a family of 4). Another alternative is for you to get a passport photo online, and this will cost you roughly $5 for two photos.
How to make a passport-size photo for U.S passport photos online
There are three things you must select for you to be able to make a passport-sized photo, and they include; the type of photo you need, the country the photo is for, and your country of residency. Lastly, you will choose how you wish to receive your photo and then upload your headshot.
All thanks to technology that has made it simpler, less expensive, and much more convenient for people to carry out their daily tasks. Furthermore, there are no limits to the number of photos you can take, you are free to take as many photos as you like until you can get the one you are happy with.
How to know if your passport photo is acceptable
Once your photo can meet all the State Department guidelines outlined for passport photo requirements as we listed above, then it should have no issue being accepted.
Is it possible for me to take a passport photo with my phone?
You can take a passport photo with your phone, however, you will need to do this in a well-lit area and white background and you will need someone who can take the photo. After this, you can upload the photo employing the use of the appropriate size and order prints online.
In conclusion, we hope that we have done justice to let you know all that is required of you concerning your passport photo for the U.S visa ranging from the dos and don’ts to answering possible questions you may have concerning the topic.